Pages

Friday, April 27, 2007

Internet, my long lost love

so I've been in Bulgaria for 2 weeks now and this is the first time I've been able to get to a computer with internet. I think it's seriously the longest I've ever gone without internet since it was invented. I know, it's pathetic, my reliance on it, but I can't help it! It's not easy!!!! Anyhow, I'm in Boboshevo a village/town of about 1,000. There's no internet, bad international calling capabilities, and 1 cafe in the center of town. And some sort of stalinist/communist-like statue in the center. Besides those cons, it's the most beautiful provincial town I've been to, right in the Rila and Pirin mountains. I wanna break out in song and dance to Disney's Beauty and the Beast, "Bonjour! Bonjour! Look there she goes...." Except in my case it would be in Bulgarian, "Zdravey! Zdravey!" hahah, I crack myself up. Everyone has a garden full of poppies and tulips, grape vines, herbs, and fruit trees. My family's garden is right by the river and has the most beautiful view of the town. There's also plenty of goats roaming about, chickens, donkeys, horses, and stray dogs.

Anyhow, I'm here with 3 other peace corps trainees until the end of June. I'm with a wonderful host family, Sonya and Vasil. They make delicious homemade red and white wine with grapes from their garden. They've been feeding me incredible amounts of food, won't let me do any chores, even though I tried washing the dishes. I did manage to learn how to hand wash my own clothes and I was actually quite proud of myself afterward.

Everyday starts in the primary school, teaching a few English classes and receiving technical training from the English teacher there. Then we have 4 hours of intensive language training. The real learning happens with my host family however and I'm always surprised with how much I can actually communicate with just my sad Bulgarian vocabulary and some strange facial expressions and lots of charades. They're great people though and have a sense of humor about it all as do I.

Tomorrow they're taking me to the Rila Monestary, supposedly the most gorgeous in the country. I'm excited about that. I'll try and post pictures when I can. Until next time, Priyaten den!

No comments: