Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Waiting for Friday

I am waiting for Friday and that oh-so-awaited vacation I've been needing. Curfew at 2am, 10 hours of sleep at night, living in pajamas and vegging out in front of the telly... yae! I'll be spending Christmas here in Bulgaria. A Bulgarian friend invited me to her place for dinner and all that, but mostly I'll be lounging around like a Roman aristocrat (minus slaves). For New Year's I'm headed to Istanbul with a few peace corps friends, should be a good time.

I can't believe it's already been 8 months since I first got here. Time sure does fly. The changing of the seasons is what truly makes you realize how long you're here. The streets are covered and slicked with ice and packed snow now and it has not been pleasant to say the least. I'm so afraid of slipping and cracking my head open. Well, it's a way to get home to the States for sure, but I'd rather avoid that. I've been wearing probably 4 layers of clothes on a daily basis since November and it's only getting colder, which sort of freaks me out about January. I can't wait for summer again, of course I'll be complaining then about how much I'm sweating, but no matter.

School has been better lately. I mean, my kids are still rugrats and I hate them sometimes, but for the most part, they've grown on me. Mostly, I've learned to lower my expectations. It sounds bad, but there's a certain amount of that you have to do. When you give a test and everyone essentially gets D's or F's, you have to reassess and start again. Plus, the social life is good now and I'm really happy with my new boy, so what can I say? All in all, life it good.

No comments: