Pages

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thank you Summer Vacation

It seems like ages since I last wrote. I guess it was still freezing then and now it's July and the sun's been pounding down like it's been here forever. I get tanner and tanner everyday, just from walking from the center of town to my apartment. Everyday there's a more noticable white space on the tops of my feet from my sandals. Even with sunscreen. I've somehow gotten used to breaking out in an incredible sweat just walking around town in the middle of the day. In the States if that had happened on my commute to work, I would've gotten anxious and pissed, just because I knew that my freezing, air-conditioned office was only a 10 minute walk away from the subway station. But here, there is no air-condition at the end of the rainbow, just my fan in my apartment, and I've gotten used to it, I guess. But I'm prepared: a hankerchief for the sweat dripping down my face, a frozen bottle of water to keep me cool through the day, and lots of spf30. 

But even with the heat, I love summer. Especially as a teacher, who doesn't? I was waiting with such impatience for June 15, the last day of school, and when it finally came, I was relieved to have gotten through the year alive. The last couple of months were especially difficult with my students and with my co-workers. My director's been nothing more than lukewarm about me being there so I had thought about switching schools but ultimately decided that no matter what, I'd have to try harder. And I love my town and my friends here, so maybe after a much needed summer vacation, I'll be able to go back refreshed and renewed (let's hope). 

For now, things are rolling along. Maybe a little faster than I like, actually. I led my first yoga class yesterday and it was great. I'm really excited about it and I think my class is too. It's in a great little space at the new fitness center in town and I'm just happy to be able to share it with people, who've heard about yoga, but don't really know what it is. I also started my summer English camp at school today and kids showed up! I was so happy. And I'm also trying to study for the GRE, which is a real drag, but something I have to do well on. I registered for the test on August 11, so wish me luck or cross your fingers for me. I already feel a little lighter with some summer rest. I went hiking in Vitosha mountain a couple weeks back with my boyfriend and then visited another volunteer for her town's festival, which included excellent food, fair booth games (BB guns!), fair food (think funnel cakes!), and lots of lounging by the pool. This week has been pretty busy though preparing for the yoga and the summer English classes and our 4th of July cookout on Saturday!

I'm just looking forward to reenergizing myself this summer and be ready for the fall when it comes. I can't believe it's already been a year and I'll be leaving this country in exactly one more year. It may sound like a lot, but I'm sure it'll fly by. This first one already has. 

No comments: