Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The kindness of people

I was delighted to hear the other day from Emily's mom, Marcia, that the org she works for, Highlights for Children, will be donating loads of books for my school here in Bulgaria, and Marcia is footing the shipping bill, which I'm sure will not be cheap. After almost two years here trying to make something out of what sometimes seems like nothing, it's so amazing to see that others are willing to see the bright side for you. And I'm not just talking about donations and such, but simply with words and encouragement, it really makes a huge difference to someone freezing their ass off in a Balkan winter. So thanks. 

I haven't written in forever but as I realize it's already December and that I've been here for one year and eight months already and that I'll be leaving this country and what is now my home in only six months, I truly can't believe how fast life has moved. Six months will be gone in a flash and my life will be so different then. It's a little overwhelming to think about, but it also feels like a time to start reflecting. But not too soon! There's still some work to be done.

I opened the English library this semester at my school and the students are going crazy! They are constantly asking me when we'll visit the library next. It's not much, but compared to the pathetic Bulgarian library available to them full of tattered books, it's a big improvement. I think mostly the kids just want to look at the pictures and get there hands on a colorful book since most of the Bulgarian ones are pictureless and brown. But even if they can't read them all, it's something, and I hope even through osmosis they can absorb some knowledge. So it's great to hear that we'll be getting more books soon. 

Other than that, life is cold. My 145 year old school is badly in need of renovation and I'm not sure it's ever had one. There's no insulation and the old wooden windows are drafty and the heating is almost non-existent. Everyone wears jackets, hats, and gloves indoors, and usually I have to defrost my fingers on the radiator between classes, although it doesn't do much. I just can't believe they allow these conditions. Students can barely feel their toes let alone think about algebra and English. And for the little ones in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade, it's just sad, and I know this would never be the case in an American public school. I think plans for renovations have been on hold so long because the school is losing students each year and it's possible that in the next couple of years it could shut down. Some schools in other villages shut down over the summer because of low numbers, and unfortunately, I think Popitsa could be headed in that direction. Hopefully, I'm wrong. 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel to this seemingly frozen winter season: this is my last week before Christmas vacation and Ljudmil and I are heading to Rome. I'm terribly excited, not only to get out of the country but to eat incredible, amazing food. Oh yeah, and of course to see the Sistine Chapel and the Pantheon. Minor details. Check out facebook for pictures soon. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone. Best New Year's wishes to all!!!!

No comments: