Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

New Year, New Start

I feel already this year is going to be a rollercoaster, just anticipating the changes and the moves. 6 more months of Peace Corps service will go by in a flash, I'm sure. And I'm ready to go home. I don't mind Bulgaria, I'm sure I've grown to love parts of it, but 21 months in and it's like, man, I'm ready to be in familiar surroundings, I'm ready to walk into a supermarket and know where everything is and WHAT everything is. I'm ready to see my friends and just go out for a drink after a day at work, I'm ready to see my family and eat Korean food, ethnic food, ANYkind of food other than Bulgarian food. I miss being able to eat out-of-season fruits and veggies. I miss American television, libraries, dvds, movie theaters, orchestras, and other live music. I miss driving, Wal-mart (YES, Wal-mart), and all the other little things that I've probably forgotten that I miss. Just being around people I know I could easily communicate with, understand, and relate too, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it removes that shroud of stress that you always carry around in a foreign country. It weighs down on your shoulders and sometimes you forget it's there, but it's just exhausting. I'm ready to understand the world around me.

I'm not particulary homesick, but I think when these next 6 months are over I will be much more than grateful to be able to call America my home. It's especially ampliphied because today I've been watching the inauguration preperations on the news and I wish I was home to share in the excitement. I definitely feel a little out of the sphere. But Obama will be around at least for the next 4 years, I hope to be in the States for most of it, if not all.

There are some great things in my life though, the little things, but I've learned to appreciate the little things. (Of course they don't seem so little to me). I've finished my grad school applications, all 5 of them. It's such a relief and 12 essays later good riddance! Now it's just a waiting game. Of course I'm worried that I might not get in at all, but what's done is done and now it's up to God and those admissions officers. I'm hoping for the best.

I've also received my winter boots, the ones I've been pining for since November. After not being able to find good quality, warm boots in Italy, I ordered a pair of Uggs (not the huge muffin ones, much cuter than that) and asked Amy to bring them over with her since she was in the States for Christmas. Of course, the airline lost her bag (and my boots) and after much worrying, they were delivered a week later. My toes are toasty warm now at my heat-less school and I'm happy as a camper.

That's my world for now. I'm waiting for 1st semester to end so I can get a 5-day weekend. That will be a much welcomed break. This weekend-Stara Zagora for belated birthday celebrations!

1 comment:

D said...

I know how you feel my darling! Soon you'll be playing with me, I'll cook you anything your little tummy desires! I miss Walmart too. Target is in all the boroughs except Manhattan and that's just too far. HAHA. I'm jealous of your winter boots b/c now I'M on the hunt for some, my numb toes are not a particularly reassuring feeling.
I miisssssssssss you! xx