Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

generation gap

There's definitely something to say for financial security and material wealth and happiness. We need to make money, and most people think they'll be happier when they can not only afford a nice vacation and a 4-bedroom house, but when they can afford to send their children to the best schools and provide all the things they didn't have growing up for their families. And of course, who doesn't want these things? I'm not sure, maybe it's because I'm not a parent yet or I don't fully understand the extent to which my parents love me but I know they feel best when they can buy me things: clothes, food, plane tickets, whatever. I think they feel this is how you love your children, you provide for them, you don't want to see them without the things their peers have. Maybe it's a cultural thing. But for me, as much as I appreciate and understand where they're coming from, that's not what makes me happiest. More than anything I want their moral support and words of encouragement. I want them to be proud of me for the things I've done and not tell me what I can't or shouldn't do. Words like, "don't disappoint me" are so cruel in that way. Just laden with expectation and guilt. How do you respond to that one? And look, I'm not catholic or anything but I think Koreans know a thing or two about guilt- parents explain it all. It's frustrating mostly, when deep down, you know you're not at fault, when you're only deciding on what's best for yourself and your life. But there's the rub, it's you, you, you. And there's that guilt again just creeping in...

No comments: