Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

And the countdown begins....

13 more days of classes, 42 more days in Bulgaria, 56 until I'm home in Florida... and 2 years of my life is over. How does that happen? Was I really just 24 years old, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed? Ok, so maybe not the bushy-tailed part, but the bright eyes definitely went dull 3 months into Peace Corps service. And I really didn't think I'd make it this far.

There were several times I thought I'd quit and go home- specifically that first winter, I was so sick and so cold, not feeling the teaching thing at all, I didn't think my kids appreciated me or wanted me here, I wasn't sure I'd still be here 2 years later. And although I'm not quite sure how much of a real impact I've had, I'm glad I stayed. Not only for my students and my community, but for myself. Of course it wasn't all on me, I had so much help and support, from friends and family, here and at home, my Ljudmil especially. It's made all the difference.

I'm more than excited about finishing teaching. Yes, I love (some of) my kids, and I've made some great memories with them, but one thing I definitely learned in the past 2 years is that teaching is just not my calling. Or maybe it's just teaching kids that don't speak the same language as me, I don't know. Anyhow, I do have a much greater respect for all teachers and what they do, I really don't know how they do it. I pretty much stumbled through it these last years and came out somewhat unscathed, and it's something I'll never forget, though hopefully I can forget the bad parts, at least.

I'm happy to say that I'll be beginning graduate school this fall, not quite sure exactly where yet. I've been accepted into the Ford School of Public Policy at the University if Michigan in Ann Arbor, which is a great school and I'm really excited about going there. But I'm sort of holding the candle for the Wagner School at New York University and I won't hear from them until the end of June, plus it depends on how much $$ I can get for financial aid from either school, so we'll see. Come fall, I'll either be in MI or NYC. Two very different places and two very different lifestyles I'm sure, but I'm ready for either. I'm just grateful I won't be going home to look for a job, I know the market is so bad and I've heard so many stories from friends worrying about their jobs and getting laidoff and everything. I consider myself very lucky and very blessed. Especially since at one point I really didn't think I'd get accepted anywhere with the surge in applications this year.

I'm making little progress trying to wind things down here. I've made a list of all the crap in my apartment I have to give away or throw out. Not much of this has happened yet, most of my plans are on paper or on calendars. June will be the month for action. But for now, it's all in my head. I really don't know how 2 years of life is going to fit into 2, 44 pound bags (and a carry-on).

No comments: